Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 26, 2010

"The BL Oil Spill"

BP's trouble in the Gulf is nothing compared to the havoc that little BL caused in Sylvie's room this morning. Brett, Sylvie, and I were asleep in our bed this morning trying to catch a few more zzz's. Normally Brady joins us, but sometimes he plays quietly. Today he was playing quietly...Very quietly (and you KNOW that's bad news when a 2.5 year old is quiet).

We were all sleeping pretty soundly, but I woke up to the creak of a door and bolted awake thinking it was our back door and that Brady was going outside. (Don't know why I thought that since the outside doors are locked.) Brett and I jumped up and searched the house for him.

Brett found him in Sylvie's room behind the rocking chair with an empty jar of Vaseline. I had a 99.5% full jar of it sitting next to the rocking chair. I put it on the eczema on Sylvie's cheeks when she is nursing. Brady put it on his jammies, his hair, the rocking chair, the rug, the dresser, the door- and pretty much everything else he touched before we found him. OMG! It was crazy. and funny. and maddening! Brett put him in the bathtub to clean him up, but I asked him to take pictures first.

It was comical. We're both annoyed...but amused, and trying to discipline him...while snapping photos. I was cleaning Sylvie's room when Brett reports that the Vaseline is not coming out of his hair despite three washings already. I googled to see what we could do to get it out of his hair, his clothes, and the carpet...and man, that's a popular search! Apparently many parents of toddlers share this experience.

I went with the egg+shampoo combo for his hair. Hmm, are you having omelets this morning Luhrings? Well, actually we are going to Coco's house for quiche in a little bit, but no this is for Brady's HEAD not his belly. :p

We were trying to make the clean-up experience a "not fun" one so that Brady would remember and Never do this again.

I distinctly remember saying, "No smiling...this is not fun! Are we supposed to play with Vaseline?!" at this point.

See the egg dripping down the side of his face? LOL!

Elephant, being Brady's constant companion, was a victim of the "spill." This was Brady's harshest punishment. He was unable to sleep with Elephant for 2 naps and 1 nighttime sleep while I first figured out how and then actually did clean him up. When I googled remedies for getting Vaseline out, many suggested using Dawn dish detergent and cited it as the solution to cleaning wildlife after an oil spill. I took pictures of Elephant and it totally reminded me of the pelican clean-up photos I'd previously seen (the first picture, for example). I was cracking up!

3 comments:

Maureen said...

O-M-G! I am dying!

Anonymous said...

hahaha! that is so frustrating and so funny at the same time. reminds me of a blog someone pointed out to me recently... i made it a tinyurl so i wouldn't put the words on your site! Check it out sometime: http://tinyurl.com/3ywu9ar haha!

Soma said...

OMG - that is so funny! What a NOT fun clean-up!