Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Red Robin and Rituals

Totally awesome that 8 adults, 3 toddlers, and 3 babies can all have dinner together with no reservation and no wait- yay for Red Robin! So glad Soma took a few picts while were there- thanks Soma! Sylvie was with me and Soma and Dev at one end of the table for most of our dinner until Brady decided he wanted to sit on my lap, so Sylvie got to visit with the other side.


I was so glad Soma took this picture b/c it documents one of Brady's "rituals." Whenever we are eating as a group (either out at a restaurant or at home), it never fails that part way in to the meal Brady asks, "Mommy, can I sit in your lap?" and he's determined to do so. Even if I ask him to wait a few minutes so I can finish my meal or feed his sister, he won't take no for an answer and plants his little self down on me. We both love the cuddle time.

Speaking of Brady-rituals and cuddle time, I'm reminded that I wanted them documented b/c even though they are daily things now, one day they won't be...and I'll be a little sad about that. :(

"Mommy, can you stay with me?"
Like most toddlers in big kid beds, Brady likes to have company as he's falling asleep. 99% of the time, he requests me. "Mommy, can you sleep with me? Mommy, please don't leave. Mommy, stay." Sometimes I'm replaced by a fun house guest- like Papa, Grandma, or Mimi. Sometimes I request a sub and tell Brady, "Daddy's going to be with you until you fall asleep tonight." Sometimes Brady requests that we hold hands and it's so sweet. That started one night when I left too soon. The next night he said, "Mommy, I hold you hand. You stay." Sometimes he asks that we not hold hands, "Can you let go now Mommy?" ha!

"Good morning Mommy"
Every morning little zombie Brady wakes up, gathers all of his stuffed animal friends, and a blanket and shuffles his way to me. He mumbles, "Good morning Mommy" then places his animals in the bed and climbs over me. Sometimes he tells me, "It's time to cuddle with Mommy." But most of the time he just asks, "Can I watch tv?" This ritual began shortly after Sylvie was born. It helped Brady's transition to bedtime when I would tell him that if he had good night's sleep, then he could come cuddle with me in the morning. There were a few times we had to clarify what morning means. One morning around 4 AM, I heard the shuffle of little feet and felt the stuffed animal friends being piled on top of me. I opened my eyes and there's cute sleepy head. I told him it was still dark out and that meant it was not time to wake up yet. I brought him and his friends back to his bed and told him to come cuddle with me when it was light out. It was so darn cute. Just the other night we again had a 4:30 AM visitor, but he's so darn cute and I was tired, so he and his friends just climbed in and we had a giant slumber party.

He's pretty particular about who sleeps where. He's been thrown off a few times when Sylvie's been in our bed (for the same reason- she was an early bird @ 6:15 and I wasn't ready to get up yet). He'll say, "Mommy, Sylvie's in the middle. She needs to move. She can be with Daddy. I need to sleep next to you and my animals!"

Lately with the extended Daylight Saving Time (or when it's a cloudy/rainy day without early morning sun), he's confused. Even though it's like 7:15, it's still dark. He comes in and says, "Mommy, is it light out? Is it morning time? Can we cuddle?" Oh, any time sweet boy, any time.

"I'm a baby bird/bear"
This one's been going on for almost a year now. Brady used to play with my pregnancy Snoogle pillow and I called it his "nest" and one day told him he was my baby bird in the nest. That stuck with him. When he wants to be cute or wants cuddles from me or Daddy, he says, "I'm a baby bird!" or "I'm a baby bear!" in a baby voice. He knows that we have to take care of babies and so we carry him or cuddle him or hug him. It's very cute to hear his baby voice say, "Mommy Bird, can you come here?" or "Daddy Bear, get in the cave with me." Our latest version of this role-play game, he calls "Hatch." He gets under a blanket or sheet and I sit or lay on him and say, "I wonder when my baby bird is going to hatch." Then he starts moving and I say, "My baby's coming!" He knocks me off, jumps out and says, "I hatched! I'm a baby bird! AGAIN, Mommy!" (and we do it all over again) It's super cute and super fun!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

good for you for writing these down! we will miss them one day...