Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dadadada

"Ma-ma does everything for the baby, who responds by saying Da-da first." ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

You know the Bill Cosby "Himself" routine from 1983 where he describes how as a father he works so hard with his son teaching him the game of football, letting the boy tackle him, etc....then the boy plays in a college football game on tv, makes a big play, and then looks in to the camera and says, "Hi Mom!" That's nothing compared to the moms who grow their babies, birth their babies, feed their babies, diaper their babies, clean their babies, Love their babies, etc....then have the first "word-like sound" that comes out of that same baby be "dada dada." I've heard countless stories of this from other mamas, but as a former speech therapist I know that these sounds naturally develop first. :) Today Brady finally started vocalizing the consonant-vowel repetition babble (when he wasn't upset). All he's been saying all day is "dadadadadada."

As Bill says, "Well, you don't mind that...you know who taught him." :)

By the time it occurred to us to stop laughing and take some video, Brady wasn't too talkative. But my mom and I were cracking up because he said "dada" for literally everything today. I was sitting on the couch with him. We're nose to nose and he looks at me and says, "da. da." and I said, "mama?" He immediately replies, "dada." "Dada" was his response to every word or sound we said to him all day long. It was comical!

2 comments:

Soma said...

How cute! It's fun for me to watch Brady developing. Since he's bigger than Kadyn, I always expect him to be doing the same things as her - then I realize that he's 7 months younger. I'm looking forward to more expert posts on his speech development. I'm sure I'll learn a lot!

Piggy said...

Now Brady not only looks adorable, but he sounds adorable too! :D