Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Reading Is Fundamental

Sometimes Brady will still let us read to him, but often these days he'd rather read to us. If it's a book he knows, he mostly just repeats a word he knows. For example, he says, "muss-ey" or "muss-in" (muffin) when he's "reading" If You Give a Moose a Muffin. When it's an unfamiliar book, he just talks jibberish...but it sounds like full sentences. ;p Last night he was "reading" a kids craft book leftover from my teaching days that he found on his bookshelf. He's not familiar with it or the pictures, but he sat in his hippo chair and "read" the entire thing to me. :) To me, his mumblings sound like the responses in Catholic church...they just have that cadence and rhythm. "Lord, hear our prayer." ;p

And tonight...this is what happens when I tell Brady we only have time for one quick story:

I'm totally kidding. But his speed-reading was cracking. me. up. and I just had to record it for Brett. What's interesting too is this book is one without words. I usually tell Brady the story about the doggie who plays with the baby- but I make it up as we go along and just describe what we're seeing in the pictures. So he's "reading" craft instruction books and wordless stories. Awesome. Of course, this one is also upside down...he does that a lot too. He's very considerate and ensures his listening audience can see the illustrations. :)

These videos are long. But I had to post them for the grandparents...and for KK, whose Mommy tells us she likes watching videos of her friends. :) Everyone else has probably tuned out by now, but we find them hysterical and wanted the moments captured. I love how he just relaxes in to his hippo chair, crosses his legs, and gets comfortable with his book. Hilarious!

5 comments:

Amber said...

I watched them all! Please keep the videos coming, they are so adorable. It's been amazing to see Brady grow up develop into such a sweetie. I wish we were closer, he is just too precious. I always forward the videos on to Joe and I know he watches them, even if he pretends he is immune to kids. : )

Piggy said...

I was cracking up 'cause your observations are so on point like the Catholic mass responses and I love how he chills in his hippo chair too. You should capture that moment in a photo as well. :D

veronica said...

You crack me up! I love the jibberish but he definitely gets books. Love it.

Toby said...

OMG, that is so cute! Brady reading the book upside down is the best!

Soma said...

K and I finally got a chance to watch these! Thanks for posting! Kadyn really enjoyed Bady reading! Too cute! If only Kadyn still enjoyed reading, herself...