Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"Do you want fries with that?"

No thanks, I'll just take the amoxicillin. I went to the drive-thru pharmacy @ CVS for the first time today. I have heard other moms sing the praises of this convenience, but haven't used it until today. Brady was asleep and I didn't want to wake him, so I just pulled up to the drive-thru to drop off his prescription- too cool!

Yesterday when I picked him up from daycare, Omayma told me Brady's temperature was 101. I gave him a little bit of Tylenol, a cool bath, and he went to bed early. Today when I dropped him off he was a little warm but seemed no worse for the wear. I had a few morning meetings that I needed to attend, and Omayma said she would call me if he was not well. She called at 12:45 to tell me his temp was 102 and he did not eat all his food (a definite indicator that something is wrong). From the moment he saw me, he only wanted to be held and cuddled for comfort.

We grabbed a 3:00 appointment with the doctor. They took his temp and confirmed it was 102.6. We also got an update on his weight- 19 lbs. 8 oz. Ruth, the nurse practitioner, suspected an ear infection and was attempting to examine his ears. Oh my goodness. I have never heard my little baby scream like he did when they checked his right ear. Ruth and I were trying to hold him, but she had to call in another nurse to assist. They both remarked how strong and determined he was for an 8 month old. His screams were horrible and I definitely felt his pain. When they finally released him, he gave Ruth his very best dirty look. It made us all giggle. She said, "Boy! He knows it was me and is not pleased with me at all!" It took him quite a while to calm down and I finally resorted to singing to him to relax him as Ruth wrote us the script for amoxicillin. (then it was Ruth having to listen to my singing, who was in pain- haha!)

So Brady has his first ear infection. I think I may have jinxed him because I was just saying to Brett and to Pradeep that he's 8.5 months old and has been in daycare for 3 months now without an infection. Well I suppose those under-developed baby Eustachian tubes are just too small and too straight to prevent mucous build-up. So between his cold and what we think may be more teething, an ear infection was inevitable.

All afternoon he's been really lethargic and falling in and out of sleep on me. He is finding comfort in being held and cuddled. It's like having an almost 20 lb. newborn! I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it though. I miss the constant cuddles from his newborn stage. This time together is good for us both. We walked around the house, sat in the rocking chairs, lounged on the patio...as long as he was right there with me, he was fine. I glanced at him in the mirror at one point and decided I needed to take a timer shot. It captured our afternoon- a sweet sick baby boy needing his mama. He looked so sad and sick with his big brown eyes brimming with tears, his constant-running nose, and the pureed apricots that I coaxed him to have for dinner outlining his mouth while he holds on to his mommy for dear life. Poor sweet baby boy-

3 comments:

Piggy said...

AWWW!!!! I know the feeling! I felt so bad for Drea when she was experiencing all the side effects of her 12-month vaccinations. They don't show up until about a couple of weeks after the shots. She had a rash, fever, fatigue, and loss of appetite. I had to hold her all day and whenever she woke up at night, which she normally doesn't do. It took her quite a while to feel 100% again. Hope you feel better soon, Brady, but keep giving Mommy lots of hugs and kisses to thank her for taking care of you! :)

mthaival said...

Poor little guy. I hope he's on the road to recovery!

Soma said...

Oh I feel your pain! That happened to Kadyn at about that age and that's when I learned that she actually does remember the doctor (every appointment after that, she cried as soon as we put her on the table). Poor babies! Hope Brady's feeling better really soon! He looks so darling in that picture over your shoulder.