Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, March 20, 2009

15 months old

Brady had his 15 month wellness appointment today. During the appointment he received three more vaccinations. While he was crying and lying down, I noticed that his first molars had poked through! I had no idea...but it sort of explains some of his moods lately. He always handles teething like a champ though (I never medicate him). I was just surprised to see them. So he has his 8 front teeth and a few molars...I honestly can't say how many. I *think* I saw three.

He seems to be right on target with all of his milestones. His biggest accomplishment lately has been his language development. His expansive receptive language continues to grow and he follows directions well...well, if he wants to or thinks it's a game! He cleans up his toys well when we make it a game and tell him which things to get and where to put them.

His expressive language is building. I've seen a huge leap just over this past week. Brett has been on travel for work this week and was really surprised at all the progress in just a few days. Brady's one hang up is that he continues to call both Brett and me (and sometimes other daddies @ daycare!) "Daddy." He's been calling both of us Daddy for a few months now. We first really noticed it on the cruise. I was in the bathroom and Brady was with Brett. Brady was looking towards my direction and crying, "Daddy! Daddy!" Brett kept saying, "Hey! I'm your Daddy. If you want Mommy, then say Mommy." Nope. The "Daddy! Daddy!" cries and reaching for me continued until I had him in my arms. But we think he does know the difference. He gives himself away in his devilish grins. We ask him, "Where is Daddy?" and he points to Brett. We then say, "Say Daddy." He says, "Daddy." We then ask him, "Where is Mommy?" and he points to me. I then point at myself and say, "Say Mommy." He points his little finger at me and pokes me and says, "Da-ddy." clear as day with a devilish grin. I was thinking perhaps he had an auditory processing issue, but now I think he just has a great sense of humor and amuses himself! :) Note: just this past week, I'm starting to hear "Mommy" or "Mama" after I ask him to repeat...but he still sometimes says, "Daddy" after I say "Mommy" and always shouts, "Daddy! Daddy!" when I pick him up at daycare. Either way, I'm finding it amusing now too!

Here's his expressive language repertoire:
Daddy
dog (still "daw")
ball
shoe
door
cracker
up

down

diaper

bubble

Hi
(he says "Hi-eeeee!")
Bye ("Bye-eeee!")
Uh-oh
car

Oh
(for Cheerio)
ssss (for sock)
a distinct naso-pharyngeal "kyoooon" for vacuum, spoon, and balloon
Thank You ("Dank Doooo," when prompted)
downstairs ("down da-ahhs" which you can only understand in context)
upstairs ("up da-ahhs" which you can only understand in context)
and just in the past 2 days, cheese and jacket

Over this past week, he's begun really repeating things, not just when we prompt him. I was telling him how we had to let Romey outside to potty...doggies go potty outside...then telling Romey, "Go potty" and Brady said, "Potty." :p

He only signs more, milk and eat...he does not say these words. It's kind of interesting and has made us realize why some people are against teaching little people sign language. It's almost as if he thinks the sign is the only way he is able to communicate these words. It's just been in the past couple days that he has started to say "muh" for milk.

He eats pretty well, but these days he is the typical toddler wanting to exercise independence. We have to give him his own spoon when we feed him. He digs in to his dish and occasionally gets food on his spoon and makes it all the way to his mouth. (But most of the time it ends up either catapulted across the kitchen, or rolled off the spoon and down his shirt.)

He continues to be full of life and very playful. It's easy to make him laugh, even hysterically! It's so awesome! He has such a fun personality. We often describe him as "spirited" and note that he can be quite a determined little guy. :) I keep telling Brett that I have no worries about Brady succumbing to peer pressure...Brady only does things if HE wants to. That can be a challenge sometimes, but he sure does make life fun and we'd have it no other way!

Brady was sick last week and didn't eat for three days...we think he definitely lost a little weight then. We kept telling him his big belly was shrinking due to his hunger strike fighting off his cold. The scale at the doctor's office (sort of) confirmed that today.

Weight: 24 lbs. 15 oz. (60th percentile)
Height: 32.25 inches (80th percentile)

2 comments:

Piggy said...

Drea learned to say Dada much earlier than she said Mama and when she did call me Mama, she'd only shout it when she's crying because she needed something. I read that babies who spend more time with their moms tend to learn to refer to their dads first like from hearing it over the phone and don't have a need to refer to the moms all because the moms are readily available.

I did read too about how sign language can inhibit speech development the other day and it made me feel better that I didn't teach Drea sign language. She's quite a chatterbox and I enjoy watching her create her own signs to enhance her communication.

Great to hear how well Brady is developing! Can't wait to see you guys again. Drea would have so much fun playing with Brady. I'm not sure we've met Brett before, so maybe we'll meet him when you guys meet the second baby who's due at the end of June. :)

Soma said...

So many changes! I can't wait to see Brady in person, and hear all his new words. That's awesome. Before you know it, he'll be saying sentences. Literally, it happens so fast. Give B a hug from me and a kiss (on the cheek) from his girlfriend :)