Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Out of the mouth of Brady

I find I'm enjoying the stage Brady's in a lot more than I thought I would. I'm a baby person- I Love babies. But Brady's at this stage that can only be described as HILARIOUS at times. I'm documenting some of his cuteness so I don't forget it.

Brett sold the pub table and chairs we used in the townhouse; so the chairs were sitting upstairs waiting for the buyer to come by tonight. This kid is extremely observant and it was of course the first thing he noticed when he came home from daycare. He said, "What that? I climb." and I said, "No Brady. Those chairs are very high. Do not climb on them. That's dangerous." Two hours later Brady ran to the door to see who rang the doorbell and we told him the lady was here to take the chairs. He puts out his little hand to her in the "stop" motion and says, "No climb on it! It's Dangerous!!!"

Brady loves to feed Romey. Whenever he notices that Romey's dish is empty he says, "Romey need food," picks up the bowl, and tries to fill it (sometimes he gets all the food in there, other times we have a clean-up lesson). Afterward, he walks the bowl back to Romey's eating space, puts it down, and always says, "Say thank you Romey, say thank you."

In addition to hearing what we say parrotted back through the mouth of an almost 2-year-old, we also see ourselves in his imaginary play. The other day he was sitting on the floor with his stuffed monkey. He laid the monkey down and was murmuring to him. Brett and I weren't really paying attention until Brady announced to us, "I need a wipe!" and we realized he was pretending to change the monkey's imaginary diaper. We listened more closely and heard him saying, "It's okay monkey. Won't hurt, put medicine on it. Brady make it better monkey." all the while wiping the monkey and going through the motions of a diaper change. (Can you tell that Brady has some frequent diaper rashes and we often say things like, "I'll put medicine on it. Mommy make it better. It's okay."?)

Here's some other cuteness we're hearing lately:

"What does a ____ (animal) say?" It's a riot when he quizzes us like we quiz him. It's like he knows what the cow says, but wants to make sure we do too. :)

"Not a toy!" He hears this a lot about our things and will point these things out.

"That's a big tv!" He still acknowledges Brett's recent purchase and announces it to people who come over.

"Spid-uh need a ladd-uh!" He always says this when he's singing Itsy Bitsy Spider. I think the logic is a riot. Uh, spider if you would just use a ladder, the rain wouldn't wash you out.

Brady uses pronouns amazingly well. He does not confuse "you" and "I" as many toddlers do. Even if we say something like, "Brady, are you hungry?" He'll reply, "No, I not hungry." or one some of my other favorites- "I need something to eat." or "I need a nack!" (One of the few pronunciation issues he has is with s-blends, as in "snack.") The only time he confuses a pronoun is when he sometimes still says, "Carry you?!" when he wants us to carry him. I find this hilarious though and (despite it being against what I was taught as a speech-language pathologist), I don't correct it b/c it makes me laugh.

He uses "too" appropriately and often. We'll be driving in the car and I'll say something like, "I see an airplane." and he'll say, "I see a airplane Too!" (often emphasizing the "too"). Sometimes he does use the third person and say something like, "Brady see a airplane Too!" He switches back and forth.

"Be careful." and it's cute because it's sounds like "Be cayaful" :) He says this when he's doing things like climbing up or down from the couch or chairs, rounding the corner while running, and when we've told him something is hot (like a coffee cup).

The one thing we don't love is that for some reason lately he's been calling us Mom and Dad a few times. Brett finally stopped answering to Dad and would correct Brady and say, "I'm DadDY!" But at times, it's funny. Yesterday when we were outside, Brady said, "Daddy mow the lawn." and I said, "Yes, he did." and Brady said, "Good job Dad." He says that a lot too-- "Good job" and there's something about an almost 2-year-old commending your actions that I find Very amusing. :p We were driving in the car and Brady said, "Top sign Mommy!" and I said, "I see it. Thanks Brady. I stopped the car at the stop sign." and he replied, "Good job Mom."

"He's so cute." When this is said in his adorable toddler voice that drags out the cuuuuuute word, it cracks me up. Apparently we tell him this a lot, "You're so cute Brady!" so when he's loving on his stuffed animals, he'll say, "He's so cute!" or "Elephant so cute!" while he's snuggling with them.

Brady's Always singing these days. His favorite song is the ABC song, which often leads in to a few bars of Baa Baa Black Sheep and sometimes Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (they have the same melody and apparently sometimes are all one song).

We were out eating kabobs the other night and Brady saw a woman with a headscarf and automatically said, "Omayma!" (his daycare provider). I said to Brett, "Have you noticed that Brady says "Omayma!" whenever he sees women with headscarves?" and Brett replied, "Sounds about right. Have you noticed that he says "Mimi!" whenever he sees an Asian woman?" LOL!!!

3 comments:

Amber said...

How cute! I love that you are keeping records of all his little sayings. What a fun age!

Yesterday I was at Target and there was a little girl in the cart ahead of me. While mom was putting stuff on the conveyor belt, she was playing peekaboo with me, (she had a pillow she was holding for mom) and every time she would pop her head above it, she would say "Peekaboo PiWow!" This post reminded me of that. : )

Courtney said...

good job for "writing" all this down! you don't think you'll forget...but you will!

i get (got) so SAD when my kids said "mom" instead of "mommy!"

Bhavika and James said...

So cute and so funny! You'll be so happy you documented these moments!